Val D’Orcia / Tuscany Photography Trip
A unique photographic experience among the famous Tuscan hills, villages and the typical flavours of the land of Dante
Living the Val d’Orcia in spring is like entering a picture. In this region where time seems to stand still among the scattered houses and incredible nature, you will learn the art of photography with our two Italian instructors Claudio & Riccardo.
Departure: Friday, April 5th, 2019
Return: Monday, April 8th, 2019
The Val d’Orcia is one of Tuscany’s six World Heritage sites. The valley’s landscape of gentle, rolling hills was the subject of many Renaissance paintings, especially by the painters of the Scuola Senese, The Siena School, mentioned in the Val d’ Orcia’s UNESCO nomination.
The region has everything that visitors to Tuscany come to see and experience, from the powerhouse DOCG wines of Brunello di Montalcino and Vino Nobile to spa towns like Bagno Vignoni, whose “baths” in the public square are fed by springs of Monte Amiata, which marks the southern boundary of the territory. There are abbeys and gardens–and that zig-zagged strada bianca lined with cypresses that has come to be a symbol of this territory and reflects Criterion (iv) of the UNESCO nomination: “The Val d’Orcia is an exceptional reflection of the way the landscape was re-written in Renaissance times to reflect the ideals of good governance and to create aesthetically pleasing pictures.”
During the tour we will stop to photograph the beauties of the magnificent medieval village of San Gimignano called “Manhattan of the Middle Ages” with its towers and its views, passing from Monteriggioni, a medieval walled city, where we will stay in a typical farmhouse, and at the end of the tour on Sunday we will be with our objectives focused on the majesty of Florence discovering secrets, stories and contrasts until evening.
What is the program?
- Stay at a 4 star hotel
- Private minivan with Air conditioned
- At least 3 photography lessons every day, plus extra night shots
- Diner and breakfasts (Typical Tuscany dinner included)
- 4 Unesco site’s in one trip: Firenze, San Gimignano, Val d’orcia e Monteriggioni
- Outstanding views for sunsets and blue hour
You’ll be accommodated into 4 stars hotels, private or double occupancy depending from your booking. Each places will be located near these sites: San Gimignano, Val d’Orcia and Florence. Diner & Breakfast are ever included, you are welcome if you want follow us with your car or motorbike.
Note: Shared rooms can be shared with a partner or friend. Don’t hesitate to let us know as soon as you booked.
With two professional photographers originally from the region, you will be guaranteed to be at the right places at the right times for amazing photography.
During these 3 days you have these lessons on field:
- Feel comfortable with your camera, learn the basics buttons functions
- Learn rules composition and practice with your camera manual modes.
- Learn how to make architectural pictures, practice with geometry and apply the correct corrections.
- Practice with long exposure, get the perfect shots with tripod and improve the pictures.
- Correct in-camera the colors, practice with RAW, and learn how to choice the best lens for each situation.
- Outdoor photography, use of balanced flash and play with light in sunny days.
- Filter usage and apply to the correct situation to enhance your picture.
- Night photography, and effects (silksea waterfront, lightpainting, lightwriting etc), star trails and astronomic shots.
- HDR and panoramic photo, usage of in-camera options to create the publish-ready image.
- Journal making and smartphone Photography classes.
- Street photography, artist’s effects and panning / tilting effects.
- Learn the best tricks to categorize, select and edit / enhance the best pictures from the trip.
- Get full of suggestions, tips and tricks and explanation on your camera functions.
What is included?
- All photo classes from our instructors during the trip, unlimited questions
- Guided tours in town by our instructors and explanations of each area during the trip
- Welcome drink and tour plan guide with all information’s.
- Transfers from Florence with a private 9 places Minivan equipped with WiFi onboard and air conditioning (or you can follow us by your car or motorbike).
- 3 dinners in typical Tuscany’s restaurants (please specify if you have allergy or intolerance in advance)
- 3 nights in hotel 4 stars (breakfast included)
- Snack & Refreshment during the tour
- Arrival and departure costs from/to Florence to your home (Flight, car rentals, etc..).
- Lunch during the trip (in each city we will reserve a “free time “of one hour to have your own lunch or spend time as you want).
- Travel insurance.
- Photography equipment (if you need camera / lenses or other equipment, get in touch with us for a special rental offer).
The main language we will use during the trip will be determined by the participants’ composition and preferences. Our current estimate is English as main language plus some workshops in French or German. Our instructors are all at least bi-lingual, so we will be able to help you in your own language in case of any questions.
After the primary language preference is determined for the workshops, if you already mentioned in the survey that you do not feel comfortable with that language, you will be entitled for a full refund.
No. The application is open to everybody who have the passion for photography and learning. This trip is for beginners as well as for pros because we believe that we all have different talents and we can all learn from each other. Even though, a basic knowledge of photography is highly recommended.
Once we receive your payment, we will get back to you with a short survey or a call to get to know your preferences for language and accommodation. As the trip gets closer, we will keep in touch with you again to confirm the trip, introduce the instructors, update you on the progress and communicate the full program.
Yes, you can either apply for a private room, share it with your partner or friend or directly let us pick a match from the same sex for you. In case we run out of private rooms, we also will select another photography-enthusiast of the same gender for you.
No. This trip will be organized by and for Swiss Photo Club only.
We understand it is hard to separate from your beloved once for some time. Even though, we have to tell you it is not possible to bring your small children (under 16 years) or four-legged friends to this trip. Like this, we can make the most out of it for everybody – also your favourites 😉
There is no insurance included in the weekend photography trip. Please make sure you have health, travel and accident insurance coverage.
We will ask you to give us a way to get in touch with a contact person of your choice before the trip.
You and your beloved ones can contact all of us during our trip and our team back in Geneva and Zurich.
In case of any special allergies or medical treatments, we highly recommend to contact your doctor before applying for the trip.
Swiss Photo Club does not provide any insurance.
You can either pay via:
- Credit Card (fastest/prefered option),
- Bank Transfer (bank details – purpose: name sept trip)
- Invoice (send us an email with full name and billing address)
- Cash (get in contact with us to arrange an appointment)
In case of cancellation, please have a look at our Cancellation Policy in our General Terms and Conditions.
- Photography equipment for landscape and night photography (body, lenses, tripod, filters, strap, batteries, sd cards, etc.)
- Laptop with Lightroom or Photoshop for the editing session (optional)
- Warm clothes according to weather conditions
You will get a recommended packing list with your welcome information