Photography Trip to Istanbul
At the meeting point of Europe and Asia, you’ll discover incredible layers of history, culture, colours and scents.
Home to breathtaking architecture, delicious food, and some of the warmest, most genuinely hospitable people you can ever meet, Istanbul is a city you can take incredible photos and will want to visit again and again.
Staying at a very centrally located three star hotel, we will discover the most photogenic locations of Istanbul, together with our Turkish speaking photography instructor(s) and guide who will explain you the culture and stories of each location.
Trip Dates: From July 6th Monday evening until July 10th Friday.
Combine with Cappadocia: Special offer if you combine this with the Cappadocia trip (July 3-6). See below.
The architecture, the food, everything in Istanbul tells a story. The city is busy, fast, never stops, but when you need a break from all this fervid life there is always a nice garden, a small tea house or a mosque where you can seat, breath and relax.
East meets west and old meets new in vibrant Istanbul, Turkey. Historically known as Constantinople after the Roman Emperor Constantine I, Istanbul was for years the centre of the Roman Byzantium and Ottoman Empires. Home to many of the most recognisable images of the country of Turkey, such as the Hagia Sophia, Topkapi Palace, and the Blue Mosque, Istanbul is not to be missed.
Istanbul is Turkey’s most populous city as well as its cultural and financial center. The mosques, bazaars and Turkish baths of Istanbul could keep you happily occupied for your entire trip. On a trip to this gleaming modern city you can immerse yourself in nearly 3000 years of history from Roman ruins to Byzantine marvels, Ottoman treasures and modern amusements.
This adventure is designed not only to guide you to the most photogenic locations carefully planned for the best light, but to aid you in mentally visualizing a scene before capturing the decisive moment. Our aim is to raise your awareness and spark your creativity so that you not only go home with images to be proud of, but use your new found skills to improve and expand your photographic technique in general. Apart from the technical aspect of learning your camera settings and capabilities, you will learn how to turn an ordinary image into an extraordinary image by using your own creativity.
The program in a glance:
- Stay at a central hotel next to Galata Tower
- A good mix of old and new, representing cosmopolitan spirit of Istanbul
- Key touristic highlights plus hidden authentic spots best for photography
- Panoramic views for sunset
- Hand picked restaurants for great local food
We will be accomodated at the The Galataport Hotel, just 200 m from the iconic Galata Tower. Up-and-coming Karakoy area is also within a walking distance. The hotel is located 500 m from the lively Istiklal Street and 400 m from Sishane Metro Station. It offers a terrace with views of Marmara Sea, Golden Horn and the Old City. Free WiFi access is available throughout the property. Decorated in classic Ottoman style, the rooms at The Galataport Hotel are air-conditioned and soundproofed.
The best way to improve your photography is to practice, and we intend to give you many opportunities during this trip to do just that, from the best viewpoints in the region. We will provide different challenges for all levels, give personal feedback on your work and show you how you can do better.
On this photography weekend, expect to practice and improve:
- Street photography: Finding good light, capturing people and the street life, how to shoot without being recognized and how to approach somebody to photograph them.
- Landscape photography – how to handle high dynamic range situations, apply composition rules, manage colors and contrasts, using filters
- Outdoor & indoor portraits in different environments and light conditions
- Using reflectors, flashes on and off camera
- Night photography
- Editing techniques and how to form a series of images
- Tips & tricks for all kinds of situation
- Personal, constructive feedback, hands-on exercises, skill sharing
- Assignments to complete each day
What is included?
- Fully loaded program of photography practice
- One or two dedicated experienced instructors
- 4 nights in a central 3 or 4 star hotel
- Snacks / Water during the day
- Bosphorus Boat Trip
- Entrance fees of open air museums and other museums in case we plan to add these attractions to our programme.
- Flights to and from Istanbul or Cappadocia (** If you decide to come earlier and / or leave later, we can arrange you extra nights at preferential rates from the same hotel)
- Lunch and dinners
- Personal expenses like souvenirs, bar beverages, laundry, insurance (travel, medical, cancellation, which are all recommended)
Visa can be purchased at the airport if needed.
Tickets July 6 – July 10, 2020
CHF 1’090 CHF 890 + VAT
CHF 1’290 CHF 1’090 + VAT
Cappadocia & Istanbul: July 3 – July 10, 2020
Join both trips and save CHF 200.-
Join both the Cappadocia and Istanbul trips for a complete experience and save CHF 200.-
OPTION A: ONLINE
1. Select your Istanbul ticket above and “ADD TO CARD” then close checkout screen
2. Go to Cappadocia trip page, select your ticket and “ADD TO CARD”
3. Double check sure you have both trips in your cart, then use code TURKEY.
Option B: BY INVOICE
To pay the combined trip with discount by invoice:
Send us a message with your address or call us at 0800 800 472.
Unless otherwise stated in the course description, the group conversations will be in English.
Our instructors are all at least bi-lingual, so we will probably be able to help you in your own language in private, in case of any questions. Please check before registration if you do not feel comfortable in English.
No. The application is open to everybody who have the passion for photography and learning. This trip is for beginners as well as for pros because we believe that we all have different talents and we can all learn from each other. Even though, a basic knowledge of photography is highly recommended.
Once we receive your payment, we will get back to you with a short survey or a call to get to know your preferences for language and accommodation. As the trip gets closer, we will keep in touch with you again to confirm the trip, introduce the instructors, update you on the progress and communicate the full program.
Yes, you can either apply for a private room, share it with your partner or friend or directly let us pick a match from the same sex for you. In case we run out of private rooms, we also will select another photography-enthusiast of the same gender for you.
For shared rooms, we strongly recommend that you book with somebody you already know and comfortable to share the room with.
If you book a shared room alone, that means you accept to share your room with any other participant regardless of gender or age.
With individual booking of a shared room, your booking can only be confirmed if there is another individual shared room reservation with us. Otherwise, depending on the time and availability, you have the option to upgrade to a private room reservation.